Can I Flush Antibacterial Wipes?
TL,DR - Experts tell us that we should only put two things down a toilet - human waste (of course) and toilet paper. NOTHING ELSE.
Really. PLEASE Don’t Flush That!
These are stressful times and we’re ALL using antibacterial wipes and paper towels and constantly cleaning everything we touch. Unfortunately, some of those wipes and paper towels are ending up in our drains and sewers.
The problem is, whatever we put down the drain has to go SOMEWHERE while it decomposes. It either lands in the municipal sewer and waste treatment plant or, if you live in the country, in your septic system.
Whatever you put down the drain has to:
- go through the sewer without clogging it
- decompose safely and quickly
And long experience tells us that so-called “flushable” wipes, antibacterial wipes, paper towels, do NOT decompose easily in our waste and septic systems. Experts tell us that we should only put two things down a toilet - human waste (of course) and toilet paper. NOTHING ELSE. No paper towels, no antibacterial wipes, no ‘flushable’ wipes, nothing but human waste and toilet paper.
Please give us a call at 541-343-9339 whenever you have sewer or drain problems. We’re keeping a close eye on the Covid19 situation, and, as long as we are safely able to do so, we will be here to help keep our employees, our customers and our community safe and healthy.
The old slogan says “Plumbers Protect The Health of the Nation!” The owners and employees at Petersen Plumbing take that commitment seriously. And we thank you for your business.
Useful Sewer and Drain Articles from Petersen Plumbing
- PLEASE don't flush antibacterial wipes! TL,DR - Experts tell us that we should only put two things down a toilet - human waste (of course) and toilet paper. NOTHING ELSE. Here's a helpful List to print out and post near your toilets.
- Put a Vent In It! A blocked vent pipe can cause almost as much trouble as a blocked drain! Here's what to look for if your drain starts surging and gurgling.
- Don't flush that! Out of sight is not out of mind when your drains clog! Some things should never go down your drain! Here's a helpful List of Do's and Don'ts to print out - from Petersen Plumbing.
- Spring is coming! There are certain plants that you do not want growing over your septic system and sewer pipes.
- What on earth is Orangeburg Pipe and why should you care?!
Links to more Information:
- Don't Flush This - www.portlandoregon.gov (Complete with an awesome video.)
- 'Flushable' wipes can cost thousands - www.startribune.com